Is your quality really as high as you'd like it to be? Even small quality problems can be very expensive. Defects that escape to production cost an incredible amount of money and time. Especially if you factor in the time your users lose and your opportunity cost. Higher quality software is usually cheaper and faster. So you should continuously improve your quality...
Join my Workshop: Clean Software Design & Clean Code to learn how to produce higher-quality software.
Here are some articles I wrote about this topic:
- Integrated Tests - The Other Side Of The Scam You should not rely on integrated tests (i.e. tests that exercise a large part of your system) for developer testing.
- Mocks or Intermediate Results: What I Would Do How you can use mocks to test the business logic of a function that "seems" to do mostly I/O.
- Test-driven development in Ruby Somebody asked me how to get started with TDD in Ruby. I am by no means a ruby expert, but I tried to give some general tips and hints.
- Getting Rid of //FIXME Why you should not have any comments in your code that resemble a TODO list - And what you can do instead.
- Cheap plastic drills Give your team good tools (IDE, PC, Monitor, Desk, Chair, ...) to work with - Even if they are expensive!
- Well Crafted Code, Quality, Speed and Budget Well crafted code will ship faster, and here I explain why. This is basically the reason why investment in quality will pay for itself.
Want Me to Personally Help You?I can help you write higher quality code by creating good unit tests and using "Test Driven Development" and "Agile Acceptance Testing". Here is a variety of services I provide, please choose the one that suits you best right now:
I help you to find problems and opportunities for improvement. We brainstorm solutions.
I work with your team on a regular basis, helping them to write higher quality software themselves.
I teach your team the skills and techniques required to write higher quality software.
I work with your team on a regular basis, and I take part in writing higher quality software.
Next Step: Book Free Skype ConsultingNow we should find out if working together would make sense for us. I want to talk to you about what I can do for you. I would like to have a 30 minute Hangout or Skype call with you, where we can talk about what you need and how I can help you.
...Or Start With A Question:You are not sure yet whether you want to work with me or if I can help you? Start with asking a question. Any question, really...
Just send your questions to: Business@DavidTanzer.net